Thursday, October 22, 2009

just a few snaps

Here's just a few photos that's I've been holding on to. My camera isn't really working too well so I haven't been able to really take pictures of my house and village, but I managed to snag a couple of my cat!

His name is Umanli which means luck in Gulmanchema (my local language). My neighbors/brothers named him because he had a lot of luck that I found him. His mom got killed and his brothers all died and he was going to but I found him so he lived, thus the luck. I've had him a month now, so you can imagine how little he was then. He's quite honestly a pain but he keeps me company. He provides for a lot of fun interaction with my community members as well. I often get asked "A buga te?" or "How is your child?" and I respond "beeni" or "good" because now I have a "kid" and we laugh a lot.



The other photos I have are from the swearing in ceremony in Ouaga when I became an official volunteer. We all got traditional complets made for the event. My host sister helped me pick out the pagne (material) and the tailor.

Me ready to go


Jessi and Tyler in their matching pagnes.


Colette, Devin and Mikey all dressed up.


here is the lovely ladies of my language group with our 2 professors, some of my favorite people in burkina in this photo.

striking a pose. seriously love these girls!

about to write another blog with more updates.

3 comments:

Debbie Hover said...

Kim - Hi! I just happened to check your blog today and saw your new entry with pics. You look beautiful! Thanks for sharing some of the language - has it been hard to learn?? Are you speaking fluently yet??!! Take care! Love, Aunt Debbie (:

DiceyMay said...

I love your dress - what beautiful fabric! I'm glad you've got a cat and a great community to keep you company! Have fun - I miss you!

Bailey said...

KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!