Tuesday, June 30, 2009

greetings

Ne y yibeoogo
Y yi beoog kibare?
Laafi Bala
Y zak ramba?
Laafi

..... this continues for a while....

Greeting people in Burkina is very important. And if you forget, you will be yelled at, well not really, but they will just interrupt whatever you're saying with a greeting.
Greetings are also on of my favorite things about African culture.
While they can be long and sometimes hard to remember or understand, greeting someone shows recognition and value in each person you encounter. And out in village, you greet everyone you pass, without exception, and I love it. Yesterday morning I was sitting under a baobob tree with a couple other PC stagaires when a line of ladies walked by, we were busy and didn't greet them, so they all lined up near us and waited until we looked at them, then we all exchanged greetings. It was a great moment, to see all these beautiful women demanding us to show our respect and recognition of them.

We got placed with host families a couple weeks ago in a village called Bogoya which is about 7k from the main city we started in. We come back to the city for 2 days of training a week, the rest is in Bogoya or another village. So, there has been a lot of hardcore biking, but I'm enjoying it.

Village life is very different than typical american life. It's hard to describe as only little time has passed and I feel like I am just starting to figure things out just in my compound, let alone the whole village.

Bogoya is very focused on family farming. People in my family have millet, corn, yams and more. It rained a day last week so everyone, and I mean everyone, went out to the fields to cultivate the next day. I am amazed at how hard everyone works in Bogoya, especially the women, it is incredible. Most farm, but some have other professions within Bogoya or go to town for work. My sister sells samsam, a fried bread and bean ball type thing, that is really good. The weather and sun decide everything in village life also. I hardly can keep track of the day or hour; one wakes up with the sun and the goats bleating and goes to bed an hour or two after sundown.

My family is fantastic. I have two sisters, a papa and then a whole bunch of cousins. I'm constantly surrounded by children and have been learning so much through them. Many people in Bogoyo do not speak French, just Morre, but fortunately for me, my older sister does as well as my papa and some of the older kids who hang around a lot. So, through them I can usually figure out what is going on, but the French is coming slowly and Moore is one of the hardest things I've ever tried to learn. But it is amazing how much we are able to communicate without having total knowledge of a common language. I am also humbled constantly by how much my family takes care of me. My papa shows up randomly and always fixes things for me, or cleans (which is pretty unique for a burkinabe man), and makes sure I am doing well. My sisters never let me go without water or a very very full stomach. And all the kids are constantly assisting me, carrying things for me, playing games with me, or helping me study. Their hospitality is amazing.

While some adjustments are necessary in village life, and I miss things like cold drinks, I'm very happy to be where I am currently. I was feeling a little trapped in Ouahigoya from Burkina, but now I'm starting to participate in life here and see a little glimpse of the beauty and the struggle of the Burkinabe.

I hope you all are doing well and enjoying the journey your are currently experiencing.

4 comments:

DiceyMay said...

I can't imagine having the experiences you're having, Kim. They sound wonderful! I'm in an air conditioned apartment, right now, watching my cat get into trouble, so I guess that's an adventure in itself, in its own special way.

Keep on having a wonderful time - I love reading your updates!

Debbie Hover said...

Kim - Hi! Your mom sent me your blogspot so I'm trying to keep up with it daily! We're flying to KC tonight to visit my brother and family and will see your Mom and Dad! I know they are so proud of you and your passion for Africa! Be safe and I'll be praying for you!!! Love, Aunt Debbie (:

Andrea Hodges said...

Kim, you are such an amazing young woman! It is marvelous to learn about Africa through your eyes -- or words. God bless all your work, and play, and family there! We are praying for you constantly.
Love, Andrea

Mary Crawford said...

Hi Kim, You write beautifully. You are very good at expressing your thoughts and feelings. I'm so happy you have such wonderful people to help you through your transition period. I've said it before, and I'll continue to say, you are an amazing young woman and the people there are so lucky to have you. Your in my thoughts and prayers daily. Take care.