Wednesday, April 4, 2007

wow

So it's been quite some time and I'm going to have to back track quite a bit because there are just some things I cannot leave out - but the last three weeks are what I'm most excited to share - and hopefully in the next few days I will be posting a lot.
So here is pre-3 amazing weeks trip around southern africa.
I had a 10 day homestay in Katutura, a township of Windhoek with a nice family consisting of Trudy, my mom, Sam, my dad, and two girls, Oli (16) and Mweneni (17) who aren't the daughters (they don't have any kids) but are relatives living with them for a while. My family was quite nice. I didn't really have an amazing bond with the parents or anything and at times it was kind of rough, but they were still nice and the girls were wonderful and I am so thankful to have met them and spent time getting to know them. The first weekend we went to a funeral, went swimming at a park, went to church, saw some family and just sat around and relaxed a lot. Then during the week I still had classes and internship like normal. It was really nice in some ways because I lived close to my internship and could walk there. Walking to work and living in the community in which you work to me is one of the most gratifying things. It was also nice coming home to an actual family after being at work or school, even though I felt awkward at time, I still felt welcome and at home which is nice. The thing I missed the most during this homestay, as opposed to the soweto one, was the sense of community. My family doesn't associate much with their neighbors or community so I didn' t have that experience. However I met a lot of their extended family so that was cool. I talked to some interesting people and learned a lot. The second weekend was the best part. We went to their farm, about an hour away from windhoek. It is a communal farm, so it is essentially free and everyone shares land and everything. They had some goats and want to expand eventually. It was just nice being away in nature, no electricity or running water, and it was very peacefull and relaxing there. Two other girls joined us, ages 12 and 14, and they were wonderful. I had a lot of time hanging out with all the girls and getting to know them. One night we played Idols (like american idol but africa version) which was a blast. Trudy and I were the judges and everyone else sang 4 songs. Nothing like singing and making fools of ourselves to bring people together. It was really nice and I felt much closer to my family after that weekend, too bad that is when it ended.
Unfortunatly, I got incredibly sick after that, I mean more sick than I have felt in a really long long time. I think it was the water from the farm or some food they fed me. oh well, it's over and done with now.
The next week we just had classes and such like normal. We met the former prime minister which was interesting and I had some good times at my homestay.
now for the pics


Here is my homestay house - don't be fooled - the neighborhood didn't look anything like this - it kind of stuck out. it was a very nice house











here is my sister Oli





















here is my cousin - cutest little girl ever



heck yeah I can make fat cakes













on the farm - beautiful !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

milking cows!!! sounds intresting. way to go girl.