Monday, February 19, 2007

oh snap!

picture time!


welcome to south africa! this is an old powerplant in Soweto that was shut down because it was causing health problems to the people but has not been transformed into a city symbol in preparation for the 2010 world cup that everyone seemed to be excited for









this is the hector peterson museum, a memorial of the 1976 student protests and those who were killed during the protests - this was dedicated by Nelson Mandela himself and Bill Clinton. We got to speak to a photographer who witnessed the whole thing.







this is at the apartheid museum in Johannesburg, it represents the 8 pillars of South Africa













this is the south african parliment building in pretoria (capital)










some girls from my group when we were in pretoria












some beutiful girls at the birthday party (larato is the birthday girl in front) in soweto during my homestay












cutest boy ever! (at the birthday party)












my beautiful little "sister" Mapule













this is the house of my favorite person who's door (can you guess who?) which we rang 5 times but alas no answer - and his spot as my favorite person was only confirmed by visiting south africa :)









here is the whole crew plus a couple who were like family and missing a couple who were like family - from the left: karabo (20) and her baby (9 months), saza (15), thandi, emmy, mabule (5), moureen (mom), me, and I can't remember her name she rented there








welcome to namibia and its beauty!!!














my home for the next few months, windhoek!

























these 2 are from camping this past weekend - this is at a dam/lake


















more beautiful namibia - there are mountains everywhere you look, I really hate that (not!)











and that my friends is a taste of what I've been doing/seeing, hope you enjoyed

6 comments:

jUST mE said...

it's really unbelievable. i never thought South Africa and Namibia were that beautiful. keep taking pictures Kim.

Anonymous said...

hey kim,
it is so cool that you are in Africa. i really liked the pictures. keep taking more please. me and abby miss you. take care and have fun.
yasmin

Laura said...

someone sent me an email to tell me where she was and she said "I'm in Kim Hovers study lounge on the third floor of the library." I had to laugh at that! The pics are amazing and they're encouraging my travel itch. I'm still waiting to hear if I'm officially going to Namibia still. Why didn't we go at the same time? I really enjoy reading what you've been doing...keep writing and sharing. Schaefer is really excited to go visit. We told him to say hi to you for us but I'm sure he's going to forget...so you can remind him ;-) The ISP sen. sem. is going kick me in the bum but I'm finally getting excited about the stuff we're doing. Okay. that's all for now. Peace susa. Please keep writing and take good care of yourself and continue to enjoy yourself! Stap isi susa.

Hannah said...

Hey Kim!

Looks like you're having a blast and that Namibia is beautiful. I hope your classes an internship are shaping up well!

God's peace from up north!

Hannah

Susan said...

you = really awesome and beautiful
this is ann even though it says susan, don't ask :)

anni said...

when you get back and find a bookstore or a library, you should buy or check out the book ¨the in between world of vikram lall¨ because it´s about an indian boy living in kenya during the 1950´s. you´d love it. just make sure to have something curried sitting nearby or your mouth will start watering rather frequently (mine has).

okay love you! hope you´re having a grand homestay!! :)